My friend Heather's dad posted a comment on my blog about my camera, wondering if I had a better one that him. Heather's dad, Robin, takes amazing pictures, but I wanted to answer his question about my camera. I'm sure a few more of you might want to know.
Chad has always loved photography. Infact, his dream job would be to be a photograher. Chad especially loves taking pictures of nature and landscapes. For years he's wanted to buy a digital camera, but I wouldn't let him (mean, huh?).
I've always loved photography as well, but never took the time to learn much about it. I especially love pictures of people. Another thing I love to take pictures of is food, which was the first reason we bought a digital camera. 
I got my camera a year and a half ago. First I actually had a Nikon D40, but I upgraded to a D80 because the 50 mm 1.4 lens didn't work on the D40. I didn't know a whole heck of a lot about photography before I got a digital camera, but I've learn a lot over the past year. And I still have soooooooooooooo much to learn. One thing that I do know is that I love it, and I love the instant gratification you get from digital cameras. I often feel like I'm a cheater, that I only do a good job taking pictures because I have a nice digital camera, but it's so nice to be able to take a picture figure out what is wrong with it and then make adjustments to fix it right then.
One more thing, just about every professional photographer edits their photos. I'm not a professional, but I edit a lot of mine. I use to do it in Photoshop, but I've recently fallen in love with Lightroom, thanks to Chad's friend Kevin.
If you buy a nice Digital SLR, don't use the AUTO mode. If you are going to spend a big chunk of change on a camera, experiment with it. If you're afraid, take a class. And then take a billion pictures and delete the ones you don't like.
One last thing, I wanted to say thank you to every one who has posted compliments about the pictures I take. And thank you to everyone who has asked me to take pictures for them. It means a lot!
2 comments:
Once again, nice photos. And I LOVE Lightroom (excluding a few minor annoyances). I am glad you saw the "light" (room, get it?) and converted. It is so easy to to edit everything. I used to have to be more selective on my edits, but now I can do them all.
As for the Nikon though, well... Nikon sucks, and Canon rules! Yeah!!! J/K. I just need to get a little rivalry going to make things more interesting. I am a little jealous of your lens though. But I don't think 50mm would quite do it for me, it's not wide enough. I might have to get myself a 35mm prime. But not right now, I just bought a Canon EOS 50D and 2 new zoom lenses, so the prime will have to wait.
Keep up the great photography.
I feel much better now knowing that 1) you do have a better camera and 2) you edit. My inferiority complex is eased a bit.
Post a Comment