Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Friends

The reconstruction on my aunts' house will be starting this week. Early last week I met the guy who is in charge of the project. He looked familiar to me, but I couldn't place where I knew him from. I met him again later in the week, my aunts introduced me to him thinking I hadn't already met him. When they introduced me he said, "I know Crystal, I went to high school with her."

I felt bad that I didn't really remember him from high school, except for that he just looked familiar. I asked him who he hung out with in high school. And his answer? "Not really anybody."

Not really anybody? Okay, that sucks. I don't pity him, I just felt bad and it really made me think. First, it made me think that I should step out of my comfort zone and go the extra mile to befriend one more person. Especially the person who comes across as super quiet. Second, it made me think how lucky I am that my life has been filled with not only with a wonderful family, but amazing friends.

I was so, so lucky to cross paths with and have friendships with so many awesome people in high school. When you're a teenager often the influence of friends is so much greater than the influence of parents. I was influenced by so many wonderful people. When it came to friends my parents had nothing to worry about. I hope and pray that my children will blessed with good friends. Because often, good friends make a world of difference.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

In addition to being good influences as friends, we had a blast in high school. Those were goooood tiiimes.