Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Simple and sweet to my ears

A while after Ben was born one of Chad's coworkers said to us, "despite the fact that you are completely exhausted with a newborn, you should know that the baby stage is the easiest part of raising a child." I did not understand what he meant at the time, but now I do. It took a little over two years before Ben started doing things that really frustrated us.
Sometimes I can't believe how mind numbingly difficult being a parent is. And I'm certain there will be moments when it is a lot more difficult than now. In between the difficult moments, and the monotony, I'm really trying to find joy in being a mom.
Tonight Ben's prayer made me smile. I love it when he comes up with things on his own and we don't have to promt him to say things. This was his prayer tonight-
"Heavenly Father, please bless that I will do what my mommy and daddy say and please bless the kids [his cousins] to be good for their mommy and daddy."
AMEN!

4 comments:

j said...

Thank you Ben. We need all the prayers we can get.

Melanie said...

Thank you for posting this the day you did. Someone said the same thing to me when E was born. It made me mad because I was so overwhelmed. Yet now I see how true it is. I am glad to see I am not alone in my feelings of frustration.

Jodi said...

I agree with babies being easier. I found that once they start talking much more stress comes. Being a mom is really hard, every day I am emotionally drained. Luckily kids are so darn cute because it definately helps.

Becca said...

It's really funny that jodi said it's harder when kids start talking. I was just telling Hans this morning that I don't even want to start thinking about having another until Hansen can talk. We're working on it but the going is slow and very tantrum filled. Babies are easier but Hansen was kinda hard so I'm hoping for this easy thing to happen sometime in my life.