Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ouch

Last night we ended up at Primary Children's Hospital. With Ben's crazy climbing tricks lately you'd think we ended up there with a broken arm or something. But no, it was Jack. He fell and cut his face and we had to go get stitches. Here's what happened. Yesterday around noon, my friend Becca and I headed down to Monroe. Her mom lives there and we were going to go visit her. We were also going to go to her in-laws greenhouse to plant some tomatillo seeds to start for my sister.
We crammed three carseats in the backseat of my car and headed down. It was a pretty uneventful trip. I had Becca drive because I was feeling a little sick. For two days I'd missed taking a daily medicine I take and I was feeling nauseous, dizzy, light-headed, and anxious. I took the medicine right before we left, so I was feeling a bit better by the time we got down to her mom's house.

An hour after we arrived at her mom's, Jack fell and hit his face. It didn't bleed too much, but it looked pretty deep, so I ended up taking him to the hospital in Richfield. I was hoping that they could just glue it shut, so they didn't have to do stitches. On the way to the hospital I called my sister to see what she would do, because her little girl had to get stitches when she was Jack's age. My sister suggested that because the cut was on his face I would probably want to have a plastic surgeon look at it. When I got to the hospital I asked if they had a plastic surgeon. It's a small town hospital, so of course they didn't. A nurse looked at the cut really quick and said that 90% of the time they end up doing stitches rather than glueing it shut. So, I decided to drive up to Provo where we could see a plastic surgeon.

On the way up I decided that if we were going to be paying a lot of money for and ER visit, I might as well take him to Primary Children's hospital. It was a long trip back to Salt Lake. Ben had to use the bathroom a couple of times, Jack needed to eat, both boys fell asleep, Jack woke up crying which woke Ben up and he started crying.

A little before 10pm I met Chad at Primary Children's. And my awesome sister Jennifer rode in with him, so that she could take Ben home with her. Three and a half hours and three stitches later we made it home. Crazy day!

I'm so glad that I decided to take Jack to Primary Children's. They probably could have done an okay job in Richfield, but I didn't want just okay. We didn't end up having a plastic surgeon look at it because a very experienced (with little kids and facial cuts) nurse practitioner ended up doing the stitches.

At first the nurse practioner didn't think he needed stitches, so he had a doctor look at it who determined that it needed stitches. The doctor was soooo nice. The first thing she said to us was that she was a mother of an early walker. And not too long ago, her daughter had to get stitches twice in one week. One reason she wanted Jack to get stitches is because if he fell again (which is likely to happen) and opened the cut it wouldn't heal very well the second time. I feel bad about what happened to Jack, but it was nice that the doctor was completely understanding that things like that happen, no matter how careful a parent you are.
Another one of my long stories, but here's just one more thing- They gave Jack some medicine to relax him so that they could do the stitches. It relaxed him, but it also made him laugh. The nurse practitioner, nurses, and tech thought it was so funny. It made me laugh too, despite the fact that I felt bad about what happened.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Yikes! I am glad everything worked out okay. I can't imagine having to watch a little one get stitches. Thank goodness for Primary Children's Hospital.