Could you only use a tank of gas for an entire month? My sister was thinking about trying it out this summer. I thought I'd like to try it too. I've already been through a tank and a half of gas this month, so this month is a bust.
When Chad and I were dating and first married we put a lot of miles on our cars. We would take drives, go all kinds of places to eat, take quick trips on the weekend. I definately drive a lot less now than I did then, but I should still cut back. Especially now with the high gas prices.
It kind of amazes me how many miles I put on my car just running errands around town. I try to consolidate trips, but the miles just add up. I think it's good for all of us to assess our "carbon footprint", but it's definately difficult to make changes. It means that we don't go see Chad's parents very often. It means I don't often go out and visit friends that live further away.
Do you think you could only use a tank of gas a month?
4 comments:
I'm not sure. Hans and I both drive to work which is about 14 miles round trip. If I had a car that got 1,000 miles to the tank then maybe. So maybe one day when those silly government officials decide to let the technology out for less than it costs to buy a house then maybe,just maybe.
I could go a month on one tank, but that doesn't mean much, given my situation. I probably only fill up every three weeks anyway. I don't have many places to go now that school is out, and when I do go places, they are nearby. Even when school is in, I could easily take a bus to the train station rather than drive, which became a habit. So this would be easy for me, but it's an interesting experiment. I'll be interested to see if you actually do it.
I'm considering a similar (maybe not so similar) experiment -- going vegetarian for a week. Just one week, but it would be new for me. I wouldn't even be doing it for anything other than morbid curiosity.
With the cost of gas rising with no end in sight, I'm very grateful to say that I currently do. I am fortunate enough to live just about a mile from work and most shopping. I usually do my grocery shopping on the way home. Living so close, I generally only fill up every 2-3 months. However, that's not really fair. If Chris and I ever go out and do anything, we typically take his truck.
The cost of gas is depressing. In January, we finally got a car that is reliable and gets good MPG, and we thought we would be using it to travel the summer. But, we're still trying to get out of debt and with the price of gas so high, any trips just seem like a luxury we can do without.
I am up for the challenge, I made it 2 week on empty, so my last tank lasted a month! Yipee, I filled up today and I am trying again....
Post a Comment