Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Random Memory

So I was thinking about starting a blog posting thing called Memory Monday, where I would write a random memory from my life that came to my mind at the moment. A memory that I am certain isn't written in one of my journals and I want it to be recorded somewhere. Well, I haven't gotten around to that, but some Monday I will. Tonight though something happened that triggered a random memory and I wanted to write it down.

The boys and I went for a walk tonight. On our way back one of my neighborhood friends was out weeding, so I talked to her for a while and Ben played with her kids. Then it started raining, so we decided to head home. Within seconds it was pouring rain. My friend's husband asked if I wanted a ride, but I declined. It wasn't cold, it was just raining and it's okay to get wet sometimes. (The boys were kept dry because I had the rain cover on the stroller.) As I was walking home in the pouring rain another friend came out of her house and asked if I wanted a ride. Once again I thankfully declined.

I was soaked, but I didn't mind. It reminded me of a night just over 14 years ago. My family had the Phillips family over for dinner. It was raining that night and at David Phillips prompting most of the kids, including me, went out to play in the rain. We jumped in puddles and got completely soaked. We were freezing, but we had a blast.

That was one of my last vivid memories of David, as sadly a few months later he passed away. That moment of 'dancing in the rain' was the epitome of who he was. Passionate about life. Don't we all want to be that way? Sometimes it's just a lot of work. Or so we think. :)


P.S. Coming soon on Memory Monday-Flying beer cans and 'Jose'.

6 comments:

Benjamin said...

I've had the same general idea about writing about memories. I wasn't going to dedicate a specific day to them, but I figured writing about memories would be a good way to keep up on the blog while also capturing memories that aren't captured elsewhere. It's cool to see you doing that. Maybe I'll actually get started on it too.

j said...

Flying Beer Cans and Jose, That's all you had to write and it got me chuckling. Can't wait.

talonandanna said...

ooooo, i'm looking forward to mondays :)

Aim Aug said...

My sister and I talk about Dave all the time. Wonderful memories of a truly wonderful example. I remember him so happy. Can't wait to hear moreof your memories!

PhillipsClan said...

That is the kind of memories we are hoping everyone will share with us on the 4th at Dave's memorial service. Thank you for sharing that memory. You don't know how much it means to us.

Heather K. said...

You always remember things I don't!