I miss just being able to just walk across the street to visit her.
I just don't see her near as much.
However, I have adjusted easier to moving than I ever anticipated. I seriously cried every couple of days for six months before we moved. Chad didn't know what to do with me. But now I love having my own house. I really like my neighborhood. The other day one of my neighborhood friends said to me, "Crystal, I love how you are outside a lot." I am outside quite a bit, and so are a lot of people in my neighborhood. Although I always wish there were more.
In my old neighborhood I spent a lot of time outside. My sister and I were outside with the kids a lot. And we would often end up with a huge gathering of neighborhood kids. But their parents never came out. Never.
I am trying to figure out why my current neighborhood is different than my previous neighborhood. So far I have thought of two things.
1. It is flat here and things like the grocery store are close. A couple of times lately I have seen people walking home in the neighborhood with bags of groceries. We usually walk to the store a least once a week. And we have walked to the library twice in the past three weeks. It's a mile away, but it is flat. Schools are within walking distance (this is so important to me.) And while a lot of people drive their kids, some people walk them to school.
2. Most houses in my neighborhood have garages. Like ours a lot of them are only one car garages. A lot of people have built detached two car garages. Although our garage is attached to our house, there is not a door from the garage directly into the house. That is the reason
why I think I see my neighbors a lot more. They can't just pull into their garage, shut the door, and go in the house. They usually walk from
the garage to the front door and if we are out and about for a walk we usually end up talking with at least one neighbor.
So that's my philosophy on why my neighbors are out more than in my previous neighborhood. But like I said, I wish more people were out. I have plans up my sleeve to get more people out. Because I really want a fun neighborhood like that. Who doesn't? I just gotta get my sister to move here. Then it would be perfect.
/
1 comment:
I love that. I had a friend ask me a few weeks ago why on earth we would build another house in the same ward. She couldn't imagine liking her neighbors that much. I love that it is warming up so we can all be outside and see each other. So glad you have friendly neighbors Crystal!
Post a Comment