Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Making Memories



Making memories for our children can be a lot of work. Especially when it involves a night, or more, away from home. This weekend we went to the yurt up at East Canyon. It wasn't quite camping, we didn't have to pack a tent, sleeping pads, and a stove. But we had to pack-

Things to wear, including snow clothes, snow boots, hats, gloves etc.
Things to sleep with-sleeping bags and don't forget pillows
Things to cook with-pots, pans, cooking utensils
Things to eat off of
Things to drink out of
Things to eat
Things to drink
Things to entertain us-games and toys

It pretty much feels like you are packing up half of your house just to spend a couple of nights away. I love going places and doing things and I am usually pretty excited and gun-ho when I start packing for the event, but by the time Chad gets home from work my brain is fried and I'm pretty ornery. I'm pretty worn out before we even leave. And although I am the one who is insistent that we get out and do things, when it comes down to it I am the first person to question why the heck we are going.

Is going places a lot of work? Undoubtedly. Is it worth it? Pretty much most of the time. This weekend was. And every time we do something like this I think about my parents and how much work they put into making memories for us. And I often wish I was still a kid, so vacations would be a little more carefree. Not sooo much work.

Anyway, we had an awesome time. The weather was gorgeous. The yurt was warm. And the company was great.

One of my favorite, of many, parts of the weekend was listening to Jack laugh as him and Chad came sledding down the hill. It was the sound of pure joy.


A close up of Jack's face-


Ben had a great time sledding too. And he tried cross country skiing-which lasted about two minutes.


The best part for Ben is of course getting to spend the whole weekend doing fun things with his cousins.

So, now we've done it two years- It's a tradition. There are three other yurts.
Who wants to come next year? I'm serious!!!

(Also, it might be nice to have people we like as neighbors, rather than rowdy boyscouts one night and crazy drunk, pot smoking neighbors the next.)

Here's a picture of the inside of the yurt. I know it's missing a few parts of it. I needed to take two more pictures for the picture to work out right when I had Photoshop merge them into a panorama. I would have just cropped it, but then you wouldn't see the skylight and get the whole effect.

Someday I might like to own a yurt. Someday if I own some property somewhere. My sister wants one too. Check out this website- www.coloradoyurt.com

4 comments:

Mac G said...

Love it! Thanks for all of your hard work and great pictures for memories.

Aim Aug said...

Very cool!

Kay said...

Sure hope we or I can join you next year! Dad said I could go this year without him. So if he isn't up to it next year. I would like to join you before I get to old. Sure looks like a lot of fun. Yes memories of that kind take a lot of effor. And I wish I was a kid again so I go go worry free.

talonandanna said...

oh man- this looks so fun, i would love to try out 'yurt camping'. :)