One day when I was a teenager my friend, Heather, and I were having a conversation about boys and getting married. In the course of our conversation we talked about how her dad and my dad know how to build and fix just about everything that is in, on, or anywhere near a house. When I was growing up I only remember seeing a repairman in my parent's house once or twice and that's because the appliance was still under warranty. My parents never hired somebody to do any kind of work for them. They are absolute do it yourself-ers. Heather and I wondered how would we ever find guys like our dads (in that aspect). Turns out that we didn't necessarily find guys who know how to do everything, but we found guys who are willing to learn. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? I mean my dad has 30 years of experience over Chad. Of course he knows a lot. The other day Chad and I were talking with somebody about what were were doing at the pee house. We listed off a bunch of things, and then they asked, "you know how to do all that stuff?" Umm, no, but know people who know how to do it. Chad did know how to do some things before, but he is learning more than ever now. Thanks to a lot of help from my dad.
We decided to replace almost all the plumbing in the house and Chad is almost done with that. We are replacing almost all the wiring in the house and will be starting on that soon. I say, "we," like I'm doing it too. Chad and my dad are doing most that stuff. I am doing things that require less knowledge. Today I painted doors. I'm mostly doing things that will make the house look beautiful. Chad's doing things that will make the house functional. Both are important.
We had originally planned to move out of my aunt's house around this time, but we haven't been working super hard at the pee house. We haven't pulled a lot of late nighters. I think we'll need to start doing that soon, because now I'm pretty set on moving into the pee house the end of June. Not that I want to move anytime soon. I'm pretty devastated that I will no longer have the convenience and comfort of living across the street from my sister. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited we know own a home. It's just that I've been seriously blessed having the opportunity living so close to my sister. I know I write about this a lot, but I think about it a lot. And then I try not to think about it a lot because it makes me soooooooooooo sad.
2 comments:
I am impressed with all you are doing to your house. My husband is also one who is willing to learn how to fix up things in the house. He was able to add a plug for a microwave (above the stove) and rewire the bedrooms to have separate switches for the light and fan. Things I would never had ventured in figuring out! We would like to redo our bathrooms and kitchen...but that is far in the future.
Great job!
You rock! Wiring and plumbing stink. You are a very, very brave woman, with a very talented husband.
Post a Comment