Saturday, December 06, 2008

Bummer

The other day I was looking at houses online. I do this often and have done so for the past couple of years. We are at a point now though where I feel a little more ready to buy a home. House prices and interest rates are dropping. (I'm hoping home prices will continue to drop.)
I was pleasantly surprised the other day to find this house for sale and it was in our price range.Isn't it nice? Love the front porch (it has a porch swing), love the detached garage, love it, love it, love it. I love old houses. This old house is especially nice because the electrical, plumbing, and heating/air conditioning have been recently replaced. I also love the location of this old house.

But it's not just the outside that's beautiful. The person who currently owns it is an architect and has perfectly updated the inside. It's just beautiful. (Almost too beautiful like it's just a house to look at not live in.)There are beautiful big windows everywhere and the house is light and cheery. The kitchen is big for an old house with lots of counter and cupboard space. There is also amazingly quite a bit of storage space throughout the whole house.

After I saw the house online I called and made an appointment with the realtor for later in the evening. All day long I imagined living in this house.

We went and saw the house and Chad and I fell even more in love with it after we toured the upstairs. I made a comment to the realtor that the price for the home seemed unusual low for a house of the size and condition of it. She said, "wait until you see the basement." The basement is finished with one bedroom, an office area, laundry area, bathroom and possibly a third bedroom (if you put up a wall.)

So, what's wrong with the basement? It's too short. Two inches too short for me in fact. I had to hunch over. It's not a problem for the current owner because he is short. It's a problem for me because we need the space and I need to be able to go down there.

So, the house isn't completely perfect for us. The basement is short and there is no where to put a kitchen table (besides out in the front room right by the front door). We could figure out how to deal with the kitchen table thing, but the basement just won't work and I've heard digging out basements is a pricing endeavor.

Bummer! If it weren't for the basement I might have gotten this house for Christmas.

7 comments:

Kevin said...

Remember, you are never going to find the perfect house, without something wrong....

But the basement thing does suck.

Good luck with your search.

talonandanna said...

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo- you can't leave! where is this house at? it's darling though, lots of personality and i love the porch too!

talonandanna said...

ps- how was the luncheon on thursday?

MNCarlsson said...

That is a bummmer... it is a beautiful house.
Good luck in your search.

Carrie said...

Aww. This post made me sad. I would make the basement taller for you if I could!

Jodi said...

I am so sorry, it looked like a great house. I know you will find the perfect house that will fit your budget and wants. And I know a good mortgage guy (my husband) if you need help with that.

Tringali Family said...

What a cute place. Good luck in your search.