Friday, August 29, 2008

Crepes


Ben and I love to have these for breakfast. When I was growing up my mom had a breakfast schedule. Monday and Wednesday was cereal. Tuesday was oatmeal. Thursday was rice in milk with sugar. Friday was crepes. Saturday was French Toast and Sunday was waffles. I use to ask Ben every day what he wanted for breakfast, but sometimes I would want something different and it was a pain to make two different things for breakfast, so I've kind of started doing the same thing as my mom. Certain days we have certain things. I only have two days scheduled right now, and I don't always stick to it, but sometimes I do. Monday is oatmeal, Tuesday is crepes.
Here's the crepe recipe I use-
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 Tablespoon butter, melted

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
Heat a frying pan over medium high heat, spray with Pam (each time). Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side for about thirty seconds. Serve hot.

This recipe makes five crepes which is just about right for Ben, Jack and I. I top the crepes with my favorite vanilla yogurt and then fruit. I like to top them with fresh fruit, but I usually use frozen fruit that I've chopped up finely in the food processor.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Yum, I wish anything I made actually looked that good....

Aim Aug said...

Crystal! I found you! How are you? What are you guys up to? Your boys are adorable! Let me know how you are. Love ya, Aimee

Chrystal said...

YUM!! Can I just come over and have some - -hehe not sure I could do it justice!

Freebairn Family said...

Looks delicious. I have to say though, 5 crepes? I think I could eat that in a second. I must be a little more piggy than you if 5 crepes feeds three of you!