
When Luke was born one of the nurses at the hospital told us that there was something very special about our little boy. She told us that she sat and held him the second night for two hours and she couldn't believe how calm and peaceful he was. Granted, the only other baby in the hospital at the time screamed a lot, but Luke was especially mellow. The nurse probably tells a lot of parents that there is something special about their little one, because isn't there always something special about every little spirit that enters this world? We of course think that Luke is something special because he is ours. And while each of our boys has wonderful qualities, the past couple months we have been especially blessed by the newest little one in our home.


I am really enjoying being a mom to a newborn this time around. After three kids I feel a confidence, in taking care of a baby, that I have never felt before. Ben and Jack were both very mellow babies, who never cried much, but the shock of being a first time mom was more than difficult and then having Jack and adjusting to two kids was very hard too. Not that having a third hasn't been crazy, it's just that taking care of a new one is way easier that taking care of his wild and crazy brothers. Obviously my perspective has changed a lot. I now understand why people said that babies wear you down physically, but the older kids get the more they wear you down mentally. It's exhausting.
Ben absolutely adores Luke and Jack cannot stop kissing him. About a month ago Luke started smiling at us and Ben and Jack can't get enough of his cute little smiles. And of course Chad and I love those smiles too. And the cooing he has started doing the in the past couple of weeks? So cute!







And one of the best things about Luke is that he is an amazing sleeper!! The first night we had Luke in our home Ben slept through the night (I wrote a blog about this.) I call him my sweet little angel baby because I never thought Ben was going to sleep through the night and having Luke made it happen. I'm not sure why, but I am not going to question it. And while Ben doesn't sleep through the night every night, he is doing it a whole lot more often than in the past six years.
About a week and a half ago, Luke has started sleeping most nights between seven and eight hours. When he was first born it was about four hours, then evolved to six hours. With Ben sleeping through the night and Luke sleeping about six hours I have been getting more consistent sleep that I have gotten since I was pregnant with Ben. Who would have thought that with a newborn in the house I would be getting better sleep?









2 comments:
precious and priceless pictures! I love your eye for these perfect pics. I agree that being a mother of a third baby is something special and really brings a wonderful perspective to it all-- thanks for putting it in words that I couldn't. I love the tenderness and patience that it brings out in me, Isaac and Addie that we are sometimes lacking with each other. Love ya!
Congrats on all of the good fortune you've shared here. The sleep especially sounds blissful. We're doing pretty well nowadays -- well, me especially -- but I know that takes a gigantic toll when you don't get enough. I'm sure better sleep alone would probably boost your emotional and physical powers more than you'd ever think. Keep up the good work! All of you!
Post a Comment