*Warning-This is a post about potty training. Read on-if you wish. But don't say I didn't warn ya!
The past ten days I have been locked in the epic battle of diapers vs. big boy pants. POTTY TRAINING!





I feel like it has consumed me the past week and a half.
Potty training is one of those things you just don't want to hear about. Either you don't have kids and don't get what the big deal is. Or, you have kids and you are afraid of what is to come or you've been through it before and you'd rather not go through it again.
Potty training my first born was relatively easy. I remember there being some tears and frustration. I was afraid of causing Ben psychological harm and I didn't want to force him. I wanted to inspire him.
One technique I used was he got a treat if he went potty and I got a treat if I had to change his bum, and he had to watch me eat the treat. I never really pushed too hard and I gave up a little despite the fact that I was worried if I wasn't consistent it would cause a lot of problems. I still tried to inspire hi and three days after he turned three he decided to go potty in the big toilet and he never looked back. He didn't even have accidents. I think a couple of months after he peed his pants once or twice. And that was it, seriously!
Fast forward two and a half years and it's time to potty train my second born. I wanted to wait until he was ready, but his personality is such that he might not get there for a long time. I was going to start a couple of moths ago, but I just didn't feel good. There was plenty of excuses not to start. Jack's sick, I'm sick, we have way too much going on right now.
Two weeks ago I decided that I was going to start the following week on Tuesday. The weather was suppose to be snowy and cold so it would be good to stay home. I informed Jack of my plans. And I figured now was as good a time as any. I am pregnant, I need to pee a lot. No need to set a timer, just make him go when I need to go.
So the plan was to make him try peeing every fifteen minutes and then extend the interval throughout the day with a reward of a small gum ball for #1 and a big gum ball for #2. Tuesday did not go well.
So Tuesday night I ran to the library and picked up a book. Toilet Train in Less Than a Day. Thanks Brooke!!! I'd heard of it before and thought it sound cRaZy. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I went and bought a peeing doll, which didn't work so well, so I ran to the DI and found a better one. Tuesday night I read the book. Wednesday morning the battle began.
Do I recommend the book? YES! Does it make potty training easy? NO, POTTY TRAINING SUCKS!!!! And as for the claim, "toilet train in less than a day?" Crazy! But it was more like "get the concept in a day and then learn from the accidents. But now that I look back on last week. Jack hasn't had a pee accident since that day and he hasn't even peed at night. So, I guess it worked.
Wednesday morning it took 32 ounces of liquid before Jack peed. That kid truly does have a bladder of steel. I was worried he was going to explode before he peed. Wednesday was a long day. That night we were eating dinner and I just started crying because the day had been sooooo overwhelming. I went in my room and cried for 15 minutes.
So since last week we have been waiting for Jack to take care of his "serious business" in the toilet. Three accidents and very vigilantly watching him, by Sunday night we were able to have a potty party complete with lemonade and brownies shaped like logs. (Kidding on the treats, we had cupcakes and ice cream and we celebrated with my sisters family. They kindly decorated for the party for us with balloons and yellow and brown streamers.) Tonight was the first night he took care of his "serious business" on his own. Meaning he went when he needed to go. Twice. Wahoo!
I guess if anything potty training is a reminder that although parenting is mind numbingly, knock your socks off difficult - It could always be worse.

4 comments:
I'm glad to hear Jack is doing so well-- seriously, really good.I'm sure it was a really long week though. Good job mommy! I especially love the pictures! Can you just hang out at my house all the time and document my life so it looks so much more photo-worthy and fun/memorable?
I'm still laughing about the brownies. I LOVE that book, even though I thought it sounded crazy too. I think it reminds us that there's a lot our kids don't understand, but we expect them to- like how to pull up your underwear. I also think the pictures look like a horror show. How appropriate. I would almost stop having kids just to not have to potty train.
My 2 year old could probably be potty trained right now, but I so don't want to go there!
So glad the book helped - I don't follow it to the letter by any means, but I thought it gave me a nice place to start.
Hey - if you can take our family pictures in the two weeks Steve is home (Nov 21-Dec 5), I'd love to pay you. I know it's short notice, but Steve's schedule doesn't allow us to plan very far ahead. We've been thinking about it for some time and REALLY need some updated photos. Since Steve doesn't work when he's home, we're pretty open whenever you have some spare time. My coupon for ordering Christmas cards expires Dec 6, so a little earlier in Nov would be easier. . . think you can squeeze us in?
Post a Comment