Thursday, October 07, 2010

A huge pot of beans and a getaway

**Warning-Very long post**
Last week was a very busy week for me. With Ben in school, life has just seemed to pick up pace a bit. Last week was busy because I had preschool at my house (I am doing a neighborhood preschool with a group of awesome mom's in my neighborhood), I had a primary presidency meeting in preparation for a teacher appreciation dinner we did last week, I had a doctor appointment, and then I made this-
A pot of nummy beans and ham. And not just any old pot, a 17 quart pot which ended up containing 72 cups of cooked rice and beans.
It was my first time using a pressure cooker and I was a little scared, but fortunately everything turned out okay. I over cooked the beans a little, but at least I didn't make the pressure cooker explode. I worked at Taco Time when I was a teenager and one day the pressure cooker of refried beans exploded. All over the place. I wasn't there when it happened, but I got to help clean up.
And why did I make that many beans? I am part of a freezer dinner group that my sister kindly included me in on. Every other month I have to make a meal for a family of six for eight families. And it exchange I get eight different meals for the month.

Last weeks busy week ended with an awesome vacation. My sister, Jennifer, and I did a getaway for my 30th birthday. Yep, I turned 30 two years ago but I still had a baby then and it just didn't work to go anywhere. And then life gets busy, you know.

We went to one of my favorite places in the world. The pacific northwest, specifically Seattle. I love that area of the country and realized I hadn't been to either the Oregon Coast or Washington Coast for 14 years, and specifically Seattle for 28 years. We went there on a family vacation in 1986 and stopped in Seattle on our way to the Worlds Fair in Vancouver BC.

Anyway, it was a fun weekend. It was definately strange to be away from my family. We left on Friday morning and came back Monday night. The first day felt especially strange for both Jennifer and I. It was soooooo weird to be out of our element and to be temporarily relieved of all our responsibilities. I felt homesick and guilty that I left Chad and the boys. The following days were a lot better. Friday and Saturday we spent in Seattle. And then on Sunday and Monday we had a rental car and we drove out to Whidbey Island.

Here's what we did. My sister and I aren't sit around and relax kind of people, but we probably should learn how to do that a little bit. After two days of walking around the Seattle area we were exhausted.
First thing we went to Pike's Place. Isn't that the ultimate touristy thing to do? Well, we were tourists.
We walked over and checked out the space needle. We didn't go up in it, but seeing it made me recall when I went up in it with my family. I had totally forgotten that memory.

A lady in my old neighbor suggested we go on the Seattle Underground tour. It was totally worth it. I don't know how much of what they told us about the history of Seattle was true, but it was hilariously funny!
Saturday we hiked up a hill to visit a thrift store where we got some awesome thrift store souvenirs. On the way day we walked through China town. Not as interesting as San Francisco's, but oh well.
We ate good food. My favorite place being at the Grand Central cafe. Not just the food was good, but the ambiance was amazing. I love places like that.

We took a ferry ride out to Bainbridge Island.

We took a walk along the water front and took in the gorgeous views. The weather was amazing while we were there. It was cloudy sometimes, but blue sky's other times and we only got rained on once for like a minute. It was a little bit cooler than I had planned, but I think I was cold because I had left 90 degree weather back in Utah.
We ate blackberries. Can you imagine living in a place where blackberries grow wild, everywhere? Yea, I bet they are a very noxious weed to people who live in the northwest, but to me the idea is just awesome.
All over the place on Bainbridge and Whidbey Island were these huge spider webs. I almost stuck my hand into one reaching for a blackberry. Freaky.
After the ferry ride back to Seattle we stopped at the original Starbucks and got a steamer. (Steamed milk and flavoring.) Mmmmmm!

Saturday evening we picked up the rental car and then Sunday morning we drove up to Whidbey Island. To get the island we got to drive across this awesome bridge. We also walked back and forth across it to see the amazing views. It was kind of scary. The railing was a lot shorter than I would have liked. If you weren't paying attention and it was really windy you could easily be flipped over it.

We stopped at a pumpkin patch/fruit stand on the island and had a delicious peach. Then we stopped in a cute little town called Coupeville.
And had a delicious lunch in a building out on the wharf.
We went to this awesome light house.
And we got to climb up inside of it.
We spent most of the day on the island. All the accomodations on the island were too expensive for our taste, so we took the ferry back to the mainland.
Monday we spent the day getting presents to take home to the kiddos and hubbys. And then we drove around just taking in the views of the waterfront and the awesome greeness of the Pacific Northwest. I wish Utah wasn't so much a desert. Oh well, I guess I will just have to go visit the greener places more often.

And kudos out to my brother-in-law and my sweet husband. My brother-in-law took care of all the kids on Friday, running them too school and hanging out with Jack all day. Then Chad took work off on Monday and took care of things. My brother-in-law had to work Monday night so we arranged to have my brother pick us up from the airport. But Chad surprised us by bringing all the kids out the the airport and they were all holding roses for us. Afterwards I realized Chad must have looked like a polygamist. Lots of kids waiting with flowers for two moms getting off a plane. Funny!

And when I arrived home, the house was perfectly clean. What an awesome husband I have!


P.S. Wanna come with us next time? Like in four to five years? We asked a couple of people if they wanted to go with us, but we didn't have any takers, so we gave up.

4 comments:

Heather K. said...

The photos were great. There were a lot of colorful things- at the market and even underground! I love your pictures of Jennifer. I'm working on counting my blessings, and it was fun to hear you counting yours. The blackberries remind me of that not-so-flattering photo of Jennifer wearing a sweatshirt as pants and stuffing her face with blackberries. Oh, the memories! I also would like to have one of those rock statues in my garden. The heart one, please.

talonandanna said...

I'm there! :) So fun that you guys were able to do this! I know every single place you went and everything you did, so so much fun! Great photos too, especially the ones of you two!

PhillipsClan said...

I really love the photos. Especially the one of Jennifer looking in the mirror/window. And the real Starbucks? Priceless.

Kristi said...

I love love love all of your photos. Was that Deception pass that you went to? Next time you want to go I'm in (and Bob and Chad can hang out together). My sister lives there so we would even have a place to stay :)