Ben has been in school for 28 days. Really, I am not keeping track, I just counted right now. I counted because Ben had his first experience with a bully today. Of course I was hoping it would never happen, but I also didn't imagine it would happen so soon. It makes me mad that he is this cute kindergartener and some second grader decided to pick on him today.
I picked Ben up from school and we were home for a while before he said something about a kid holding his arms behind his back and then spinning him in circles. He kind of said it out of the blue and when I asked him to explain more he started crying. After a while he was able to tell me the rest of the story.
It happened within minutes of me dropping him off. (I drop him off about 15 minutes before afternoon kindergarten starts because then he gets to play with his cousin Josh. He loves it. And Josh often runs up and puts his arm around Ben, which was especially helpful the first couple of weeks when Ben was scared.)
Ben asked the boy to stop spinning him and Josh also told him to stop, but he wouldn't. When he was finished picking on Ben he told Ben that he was going to go tell the ground duty what he had done. I think he told Ben that so Ben and Josh wouldn't go tell. I am pretty certain that the kid didn't go tell on himself.
As every school should, and probably does, there is a zero tolerance policy at Ben's school when it comes to bullies. But really how does your child report bullying without the worry of the bully retaliating? We have talked to Ben about what he should do if something happens again, but it breaks my heart that it ever happened in the first place. I don't like mean people.

3 comments:
Honestly, it makes me feel very sad just to read about it. So lame and pointless, and yet so unstoppable (in any complete sense). Frustrating, yes, but mostly just sad.
Isn't is sad how young the bullying starts? And it's so hard to stop. Ben is such a sweetie. I hope he is still enjoying school.
So sad. Mikey's probably a bully at school, but at home in the neighborhood there are some older kids he loves who are mean to him. He drew a cute picture for the girl next door once, and they ripped it up and left it on our front porch. Breaks your heart. Hope he finds a way to stand up to those bullies!
p.s. I walk Mikey to preschool with your friend, Becca White, and her little boy. She thought I looked like Heather and we figured it out. Small world!
Post a Comment