Sunday, December 06, 2009

The bead


Friday night Chad and I were hanging out with some of his friends from work when we got a text from our babysitter that said-


I'm really, really sorry, but Ben stuck a bead up his nose. He says it doesn't hurt though.


So Chad and I came home to find Ben crying, the bead was starting to hurt his nose. Angie(my sweet cousin and name has been changed to protect the innocent) had him try to blow it out, but it wouldn't come out. We could see the bead lodged in way up his nose, but didn't want to try getting it out because we were afraid whatever we did would just push it further up in. So, Chad took Angie home and I took Ben to the instacare. As I pulled into the parking lot at the instacare, I thought, I should try and have Ben blow his nose. I told him to fill his mouth up with air, hold his breath, and blow while I pushed on the nostril that didn't contain the bead. The first blow it didn't come out and Ben sadly said, "Mom, I already tried doing this." I told him to try one more time and blow really hard. Success! Out popped the bead (which was actually a green airsoft pellet.)


On the way home I asked Ben-


Why exactly did you put the bead up your nose?


Because I found it in the couch, I was playing with it, I couldn't hold it anymore and I didn't have a pocket, I didn't want to put it down because then Jack would get it and swallow it. So I stuck it in my nose and sucked it up.


It was sweet of him to not want Jack to swallow it, but in this situation it probably would have been better that Jack swallowed it, than it ended up in Ben's nose. I didn't tell him that though.

4 comments:

Aim Aug said...

Ahh! Cameron did this with a lego wrench about a month ago. And Tyson did it with chocolate chips when he was 3. My nurse friend says better the nose than the ear. Ears require nasty proceedures...like surgery. Glad he blew it out!

talonandanna said...

hilarious and scary at the same time! keep us on our toes don't they?! LOVING the pics of the house. we need to do a house warming for you! :) oh and can you send me your new address! would love to send you a holiday card!

talonandanna said...

ps- oh i was going to tell you too, that they say to close the nostril that doesn't contain the bead, raisin, the dime... whatever they have stuck up there. and then cover their mouth with yours like doing cpr and blow and the thing will shoot right out! :) good times!

Melanie said...

Hilarious! Where do kids get these crazy ideas?!?!