Ben is not a morning person and often from the minute he wakes up the meltdowns start. Sundays are the worst day. (And then some days he is just fine, it's completely random.) Anyway, here's a list of Ben's yesterday morning meltdowns-
- Chad made him stop playing a game on the ipod after I had giving him two warnings that he needed to stop at the end of his next game. He threw a fit.
- I had some Easter eggs out for my church lesson and Ben and Jack were fighting over them even though there were plenty to share. Ben was super upset when Jack took some blue ones. Ben loves the color blue and thinks he owns anything that is blue. Most of the time Jack doesn't care, but sometimes he likes blue too.
- We told Ben we needed to get dressed for church. Meltdown.
- We showed Ben what we would like him to wear. It was a sweater similar to Jack's, but Jack's has more blue in it and Ben's has more red. Meltdown.
- His button up white Sunday shirt felt funny, the sleeves are a tiny bit short and his neck and chest felt weird. Meltdown.
- I asked Ben if he wanted to wear a t-shirt underneath. Unfortunately he chose the only one in his drawer that is too big so when I put on his Sunday shirt his t-shirt sleeves made his arms feel weird. Meltdown.
- He put on his sweater and I carefully made sure that his white shirt sleeves were pulled down from the very beginning because he freaks out when they pull up. (This bothers me too so I understand.) He zipped up his sweater all the way, so it was rubbing against his neck, it didn't bother him and I can't believe it didn't. I said he should unzip it a little way. Meltdown.
- Chad put on his socks. Big meltdown. I got him new socks, but he specified they had to be long socks because he was going to be wearing boots. Sometimes he wants short socks, sometimes medium length socks. The socks can't be too thick, but if they are too thin they feel weird. We have a meltdown every day over socks. He especially hates the seams in socks. Hates them. I have to comfort him everyday when it comes to this. I have to make sure his socks are just right.
Plenty more meltdowns throughout the day, but the highest concentration is in the morning. Ben is transitioning between size 4 and size 5 clothes and it isn't very fun. The pants are too long, too big, they feel funny. So if you see Ben wearing very worn out, very short pants you know why. Ben obviously has some sensory issues when it comes to clothes. I think I am going to buy his some seamless socks. I've been avoiding it because I hoped he would just get use to socks. He hasn't. The socks that get the best reviews are over $6.00 a pair. Ouch! Hmm, I'm gonna have to do some more research.
Jack so far hasn't complained much about how clothes feel. Jack just wants to wear his pajamas all the time. When I get him dressed in the morning he just wants to put on different pajamas. Since it has been soooo cold and I don't think pajama pants are warm enough to wear outside when we run errands, I make him get dressed. Today after church though he wanted his pajamas on, so I let him. So, if you see Jack in his pajamas in the middle of the day, he isn't sick he just loves them. If he isn't wearing his pajamas most of the time he has his pajama shirt on underneath his clothes. One time he wore his pajama shirt for three days straight. Have you ever tried to take a shirt off a kid who doesn't want to take it off? Not worth the fight. And three days isn't bad, it could have been a lot longer. Jack is persistent. Very persistent. It's a good quality, it's just hard to be the mom of a very persistent kid.
And since I like to have a picture with almost every post, here's one for ya.
Ben is having a night terror. This was the first time Jack saw Ben have a night terror and he was very concerned. He thought feeding Ben a chip would make it better. It didn't work, but hey, it was worth a try.
7 comments:
Stressful. Eddie has similar issues with clothing, though not nearly as much now as he did maybe 6 months ago. As with Ben, socks probably were the worst, and those are still the most likely to upset him. The seams, too, like you said. For a while, he would pretty much always throw a fit when we first put on his shoes, because they would be either too loose, or too tight. No matter how many times you re-fastened the Velcro, it wasn't right, and he'd cry and scream about it and take his shoes off and throw them, which is really frustrating when you're trying to get somewhere. I must say, it's nice that that stage has largely passed.
Good luck!
Eddie usually isn't wearing underwear or socks because they hurt him, and, frankly, they aren't worth the fight! I am sorry, Crystal. Many mornings are meltdown after meltdown for us, too! I am so sad it doesn't get better at 4!
(The previous comment was from Melanie. It must have still been signed-in under my name. I left the first one only. We're getting annoying now, aren't we?)
Tyson is 8 and Cameron is almost 5 and they both have more tantrums than Kaylee who is 2. I love 2! You can ask them to help and they love it! They don't complain about clothes (though Kay does try to continually have a tutu on). Tyson was a beast this morning getting ready for school, so I am right there with ya!
I've told you that Lucy has night terrors, too, haven't I? So strange.
Thanks for writing about meltdowns. :)
let's so lunch and commiserate about meltdowns. LOL actually it's not funny, i know firsthand as well. i'm sorry mornings are so tough. yep and i know about the sock issues too! i know a good occupational therapist. :) wow and it seems like there should be something that could help with the night terrors.... when can we come see your cute, cozy home? (after the c-Razy holidays?) did you get our holiday card? i miss ya!
I saw a book the other day that made me think of Ben and this post. The little girl in the story doesn't like her clothes either!
http://www.amazon.com/Too-Purpley-Jean-Reidy/dp/1599903075/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266900355&sr=8-1
Post a Comment