Friday, December 04, 2009

Little things

A new neighborhood friend of mine came over the other day to see my house. She is in the process of remodeling hers, so she was very interested in mine. She asked me what my favorite parts of my house are. Although making all the decisions and spending the money drove my up the wall, I feel sooooo lucky that we were able to remodel the house. Most of my favorite things about the house aren't things that we did, they are things the house already had, we just made them look a little better.

So, here's my favorite things about my house.

I love this beam on the ceiling in between the dining room and the front room.  Silly I know, but it adds architectural detail to the house.

We tore down the wall in between the dining room and the living room and I requested we make the separation on the ceiling between the dining room and the kitchen look the same as the other beam.  My dad helped us figure out how to do it and suggested we put fluorescent lights up and inside the kitchen side of the beam.  I was opposed to any type of fluorescent light in the kitchen but I'm glad my dad conviced me on this one.  I like the extra light.

I love the doors that are original to the house.  They've been pained pink, yellow, aqua, and white.


 In the boys room I had sheet metal cut to fit inside the panels and glued them up on the inside of the door.  (Look at those cute magnetic christmas trees with numbered ornaments to countdown to Christmas.  My sister gave them to the boys.)


I love the hinges on the doors.

The hinges had been painted over a couple of times.  I liked them because of the little ball on the top and the bottom.  To replace them would have been at least $12.00 each, so I stripped them and painted them to match the doorknobs we bought.  Yes, a little crazy but I am pleased with the results.

We haven't gotten to finishing this yet, but when we do it will look like the picture on the right



A cool way to use the under the sink space, so I don't have to have my blow dryer and hair straightener out on the counter.

This is the end cabinet in my kitchen.  See my cell phone?  It's charging and it's not out on the counter.  I sometimes drive Chad crazy with my obsession to hide cords, but he thinks this cabinet is pretty nice too.


Or course I love my fireplace and mantle.  We have yet to have a fire in it, but soon we will.

I love the big windows.  In my aunt's basement we only had windows on the west side, so no morning sun.  I love and need the sun in the morning, so I love the windows at our house now.

I love the play area for the kids.  I was so excited when we looked and the house and knew we could do this.  The boys don't play in it much, so I need to figure out what toys to put in it.


And this is one of Jack's favorite parts of the house.  Jack thinks these pull out cabinets (one on each side of the oven) are ladders to get on the counter. He gets mad when I put things in them.



No comments: