My sister, Jennifer, went to San Francisco to see Wicked for her birthday. Her husband went with her, so I am watching my nieces and nephew for the three days and nights while they are out of town. And it's mostly just me taking care of them because Chad is at work and then he is working on the house. We go down and help, but it doesn't last long before it's best of we just come back to my sister's house.
It's not too bad watching the kids. Okay, it's a little bit hard, but nothing that isn't manageable. Ben mostly loves it because he would love to spend all day, every day with his cousins anyway. Jack mostly enjoys it too. My niece, Brooklynn, loves playing with and taking care of Jack and he loves the attention from her. However, he is terrified of Madilynn and he screams if she even gets close to him. She's a bit too intense for him.
When my parents went out of town once or twice when I was younger I remember thinking it was exciting to have somebody else taking care of us. I spend so much time with my nieces and nephew, that I don't think me being here is at all exciting to them. I also lost a lot of my magic as an aunt when I became a parent myself. I remember people telling me it would happen, but it bummed me out when it did. I can't feed my nieces and nephews sugar cereal for every meal, give them candy all day long, and let them stay up as long as they want. Because I'd have to let my kids do that too and I'm pretty certain what would happen if I did. Before I had kids I didn't let my niece and nephew do whatever they wanted and eat whatever they wanted, but I did give them plenty of candy and I didn't really care much about a bed time.
Brooklynn is super independent. She is very helpful. Yesterday morning she got out bowls and cereal for all the kids, including Jack and also warmed up a bottle for him. After breakfast she cleared everything up. She also made Madilynn get ready for preschool despite the fact that Madilynn was screaming most of the time. Brooklynn wouldn't let Madilynn wear what she wanted because it was not appropriate for the cold weather. Brooklynn also brushed Madilynn's hair. Brooklynn's indepence is useful, but it's also a little challenging to deal with as she always wants to be in charge and alway wants things to go her way.
I told Brooklynn that we would probably go to the children's museum this afternoon, but I'm thinking it's not gonna work out. I'm just too afraid to go to a place like that with five kids- I'll probably lose one of them. I lost Ben there one time and he was my only child at the time.
Maybe tonight I'll feed them a bunch of candy, watch a bunch of movies, and let them stay up as late as they want so I can be a little bit of a fun aunt. Maybe. I'm already tired.
3 comments:
:0) I laughed at your pee and poo house....how wicked, well, not really. I'm sure you're a great aunt, just tired, like you said. I like your blog!
You are such a great sister to take her kids for that long. I bet you are tired with 5 kids. Good Luck.
U are a good sister! I bet u are tired after your week however, u need to hit Jennifer up for a massage and pedicure!
Post a Comment