Monday, March 16, 2009

Hooray for honest people

Saturday night my aunt came downstairs to tell me there was a message on the answering machine for me. The lady said she had found something of mine. Only ten minutes before that we had arrived home and as we were coming down the stairs carrying the boys and bags of stuff I'd realized that I wasn't certain where my wallet was. After getting the boys to bed I was going to go upstairs and look in the car for it.
So, I called the lady back and she did infact find my wallet. Her husband had been out for a walk and found it on Orchard Drive. It was late so I arranged to pick it up Sunday afternoon around 5:00pm. Then yesterday when we were at church the bishop found Chad and gave him a message that some guy had called the church and left a message that he had been out for a walk on Saturday night and found part of my wallet. At first I was confused as to why he had left a message at my ward house, then as I thought about it I realized he had found the part of my wallet that had my temple recommend in it.
I went to both houses and retrieved the two parts of my wallet these honest gentleman had found. The guy that found most of the wallet with the most important things (like credit cards, my drivers license and passport) walked around and collected things as he said the wallet had been run over a couple of times. As far as I can tell every that was in my wallet is still there, including cash and change. Hooray for honest people!

A couple of weeks ago I was out running some errands. At one of my stops I stepped on some garbage as I was exiting my vehicle. Since I stepped on it I decided to pick it up and throw it away. I picked it up and stuck it with the other garbage in my car. It was two gifts cards. It wasn't until later that day as I was cleaning out the car that I realized there might be some money on the gift cards. I called and checked the balances and sure enough there was about $25 on each. I feel bad that somebody lost them. I called one of stores that I had found the gift cards near, the store that one of the gift cards was for. I explained the situation and the lady said it was kind of my to call but there was no way to figure out who the gift card belonged to. I asked if anybody had asked about it as she said no. The other gift card was for Walmart. You can register your gift card with Walmart, but this gift card had not been registered. I feel bad that there isn't a way to track down the owner of these gift cards, It's nice that I now have $50, but I would feel a lot better if I could find who these gift cards belonged to. Should I hang up signs or something? I'm not sure where exactly I would put them and then I would probably get a lot of weird phone calls even though I would make the caller identify where the gift cards were for and how much was on them. What would you do?

Things you might be wondering about-
How exactly did my wallet end up on Orchard Drive? After a long day of working on the house we bought we went to Little Caesars to pick up a pizza. I now realize I left my wallet on top of the car. Not too bright, huh? Oh, and the house we bought-- pictures coming soon.
I normally don't carry my passport in my wallet. This was a reminder I need to take it out. When my aunts' house flooded my drivers license got lost in the shuffle of things. We eventually found it, but until we did I was using my passport for ID. It was kind of fun to have it with me though because a couple of times I thought, "if somebody calls and asks me to go on a vacation out of the country with them right now I could go." But then I realized, "Of course I would take Ben and Jack, but they don't have passports, so we couldn't go. Bummer!"

4 comments:

Aim Aug said...

That's great Crystal! Glad to know some people still have a moral compass! I'm so glad you found it; that is the worst feeling in the world to not know where that stuff is...we've done it a couple of times (Trent has a knack for losing his wallet). :)

Mom & Dad said...

I would give the gift cards to the two guys who found your wallet.

Jodi said...

I am so glad you were able to find it. That is the worst feeling in the world knowing (especially with all the fraud)that everything you own is gone. This was a happy ending.

talonandanna said...

missed ya at the part today! hope you had fun at the library. fun to hear about the adventures of your wallet and you luck in finding gift cards. :) doesn't sound like there's any way to possibly track down the owner, so knowing that, i would be okay using them or giving them away. is that what you wanted to hear? lol