Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekend at a Yurt

Over the weekend we went and stayed in a yurt. We had a lot of fun and I almost want to keep it secret so that it never gets too crowded and difficult to get a reservation. But while we were up there the outdoor writer for the Salt Lake Tribune made a visit to the yurts, took pictures, and interviewed us. So, I guess we can't keep it secret.
I've stayed in three yurts. The first, over ten years ago, was in Montana. The second, three years ago, was a yurt owned by the Granite School District that we had to ski six miles to get to. (That trip was a dangerous adventure.) This weekend we stayed in a yurt up at East Canyon. By far this yurt was the cushiest yurt experience thus far. We only had to walk ten or so yards from the parking lot to get to it. It had electricity and a thermostat controlled propane gas stove, which way nice because it made it so we didn't have to get up in the middle of the night ever hour or so to put wood on the fire.

Photobucket

Before I continue with the story, some of you may be wondering what a yurt is. Everybody we told asked us what the heck a yurt is. Here's a link explaining it-
Yurt Info (The history of the yurt is on page two.)


Photobucket

My sister served her mission in Mongolia, so she's been in a lot of yurts. We went with her and her family this weekend and shared a yurt. Ben was in heaven being able to be with his cousins all weekend. We had fun too. On our way up we stop at Taggarts for dinner. Yum! We stayed at the yurt Friday and Saturday night. Friday night we watched a movie and during the day on Saturday we went sledding and took turns watching each others kids so we could go cross country skiing. Heather, Joe, and their kids joined us during the day on Saturday. This was especially fitting considering everytime I've been to a yurt I've been with Heather.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ben had fun sledding until we went to a different hill and it seemed that all paths led to

Photobucket

Don't worry, he didn't get hurt too bad. Just a scratch on his thumb which was enough for him to decide he was done.

I love this picture-

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

We made smores over the propane gas fire, it actually worked pretty good.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a fun weekend and I hope to make this an annual event.

5 comments:

the author said...

love that picture of you and Ben!

Tringali Family said...

How fun! I so wish I lived near my sisters to be able to do fun stuff like that with them!

talonandanna said...

wow! who knew?! i didn't. sounds like a total blast.

Heather K. said...

Thanks for being so good at organizing. I love going places with you!

Lorianne said...

I'm so jealous! I read about a place that you can snowmobile to and then stay in a yurt overnight--sounded like a blast to me.