Thursday, February 12, 2009

A little man of few words

At eighteen months old Jack isn't talking much. Of course I'm concerned, I'm a mom isn't worrying one of the things I do best? Ben's language skills were very advanced when he was eighteen months months, so Jack not talking yet is just different to us. He is by no means a quiet boy though. He babbles a lot. He loves to make sound effects, especially growling. He sings-la, la, la, la. (It's so cute!) He may not talk yet, but he understands very well. I can give him a list of instructions and he completes them (like-go in your room, get your binki and your blanket and bring them to me.)
Tonight Ben was being a bit defiant and Chad warned him he would go to the corner if the behavior didn't stop. Jack heard this and though he wasn't the one in trouble he sent himself to the corner. It was funny seeing him standing with his nose in the corner. Cute now, but hopefully this doesn't have to happen much later. My aunt who is a speech therapist assures me Jack is fine for now. If he isn't talking when he is two then there might be a problem. Like I said, I'm a bit worried, but I also just want to hear Jack's cute little voice and I can't wait until he talks more. For now he says-mama, dada, uh-oh, and nana (banana).

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm sure he will be fine. My niece didn't start talking until she was 2, and then it was immediately complete sentences. If the comprehension is there, I'm sure the speech will follow.

Oh, and nice pictures. Do you have a nice new camera or something...

Jodi said...

I am one of those worry yourself sick moms too. It is amazing how different each child is and how they go at their own pace. He will be talking before you know it.