Thursday, September 25, 2008

Yesterday's Adventures

Yesterday morning around 9:30am I discovered my cell phone was missing. I looked all over for it with no success. I used my brother-in-laws cell phone to call it, but unfortunately the voicemail picked up right away so the battery was dead. Odd, especially because Chad had just charged it the day before.
Finally around 11:30am I remembered that I had been out in the backyard the night before picking acorns up on the ground. I went out and found my phone in the grass. Unfortunately the sprinklers had come on that morning. Fortunately, my phone still works, but I had to charge it. So, I just used my brother-in-laws cell phone for the day.
After lunch we went to the children's museum. When we got there, they were having a circus party downstairs and we got cotton candy and balloons. I had gotten an e-mail about this, but had forgotten about it, so I forgot that there was going to be an elephant parade through the Gateway. So, while we were inside the museum, most everybody else was outside watching the elephant parade. The kids would have loved that.
The kids played in the museum for a couple of hours. Jack especially loved playing with the balls. I rounded up the kids with enough time to spare to get home for when my niece got home from school. We headed out to the parking lot and I loaded up the kids in the van.
Then a security guard approached me and asked me if I had noticed the damage to the van. He explained that some people witnessed a car back into the van and then take off. The witnesses left me a note and reported it to security. The security guard suggested I contact the police. I couldn't get cell phone reception in the parking lot, so I took the kids out of the van and went out in the mall area. First, I called my brother to meet my niece at home.
We were standing just above the escalators and Jack grabbed the paper the witness had left (including the liscense plate number) and threw it down on the escalator. I ran like crazy to get it. I was holding Jack, trying to run down the up escalator while trying to bend down and pick up the paper. It was tricky especially considering that my back hurts really bed especially when I bend down.
So, I got the paper and called the police. Then we waited. Jack was hungry and Ben had to pee. I also had my niece and nephew with me and they had to pee as well. I didn't know if the police officer would call me when he got there or if I just had to wait by the van. I couldn't wait by the van if he was going to call because there was no cell phone reception. So I had the boys stand over by the parking lot (where I could still see them) and tell me if they saw a police car. The cop showed up a half an hour later, took the info and said he would look into it.
I took the kids to the bathroom and then took them to get cookies and then ice cream. While sitting there I remembered I was suppose to meet my friend Heather at my sister's house at 4:00 because she was bringing me dinner. Ooops! It was well past 4:00pm and I didn't have her phone # to call her because I didn't have my cell phone. I eventually figured out to call Heather's mom and got Heather's phone number. I called Heather and apologized and she let me know she just left the dinner in the fridge at my aunt's house because the door was open (because the flood restoration people are working there).
We ate our cookies and ice cream and were getting ready to leave when the police office called and said that he went and talked the kid, and his parents, who backed into the car and the police officer wanted to meet me at a gas station to give me the insurance info. He said he would be there in 10-15 minutes. After loading up four kids in the van it took me a little bit longer than 15 minutes to get to the gas station. When I got there the police officer wasn't there, but fifteen minutes later he showed up. He gave me the info and then we hurried home.
We stuffed food in our mouths as we had to hurry to get my nephew to his soccer game at 6:00pm. We were a little late and when we got there, there was no one else from his team. The schedule my sister left me was apparently had the wrong time on this particular event. Oh well, we didn't have to sit through the soccer game at the end of the crazy day.
I'm today will be less eventful. My niece woke up sick this morning, but now she feels a lot better. She would like to stay home and play with Jack all day, but I think she should go to school. I think I will take her there now.
Last thing, a funny thing. While the boys were watching for the police officer to come, Ben was talking to people coming in from the mall. He told them about our house flooding and somebody backing into the van. He was talking so fast and people didn't quite catch the story. A lady came up to me and asked me if somebody had crashed into our house with a van. Fortunately, no.

6 comments:

Mac G said...

Sounds like way too much fun. I'm glad that you have so much patience.

Natalie said...

Might as well have been someone crashing into your house with a van.....what a crazy week you have had, I bet you will be glad when it is all over!!

the author said...

Holy Cow.

What a day. Fun to read about, though!

Melanie said...

I could cry for you, Crystal. Sounds too rough for one person with all those children!

PhillipsClan said...

You will think I'm crazy, but some day when your kids have all grown up and moved out of the house, you will miss days like that

NOT!

Amanda said...

HOLY COW woman! Sounds like a CRAZY day.