Thursday, October 11, 2007

Coincidence? I don't think so.

A couple of weeks ago my mother gave me a book to read called Small Miracles. It’s a collection of stories about “extraordinary coincidences from everyday life.” After reading the first few stories I started to wonder if they were true. The coincidences in the stories are amazing and almost unbelievable. For some reason I didn’t want to read the book if the stories weren’t true. I was able to find somewhere in the book where it said the stories are true, so I’ve kept reading it.

In the past couple of days this book has made me more mindful of small miracles in my life. Here’s a few things that have happened to me this week-

On Sunday my friend Amy called. I haven’t heard from her for a few months and I haven’t seen her for almost a year. Of course I’ve been thinking about her but I never made the effort to call her. It was awesome that she called me. She was a little surprised to find out that I’d had a baby. Then on Monday my friend Becca called. I haven’t seen her for almost a year as well. Amy and Becca know each other, so I thought maybe Amy had told Becca that she needed to call me. Becca hadn’t talked to Amy and she was just calling me because she was thinking about me. One of the first things she said was that it had been so long since she had talked to or seen me, so long she said, “that I could have been pregnant and had a baby by now.” I told her she was right and at the moment I was holding a six-week old in my arms.

Tuesday I went grocery shopping. The Albertson’s closest to my house was out of some of the items I wanted to buy, so I decided to drive five or so extra miles to the Albertson’s in the next city. My mom was watching Beepers for me and I felt a little bit guilty about leaving him with her longer than I planned, but I decided that she wouldn’t mind. When I arrived at the Albertson’s in the next city I started to pull into a parking spot, but then I noticed a parking spot closer to a cart return (which is very convenient when you’re a mom), so I headed over there. As I pulled into the parking spot I noticed the lady in the spot next to me had a shopping cart full of cases of microwave popcorn. I just thought it was funny that the lady was buying so much popcorn that out of curiosity when I got out of my car I looked over to see what the lady looked like. It wasn’t a lady (because I think ‘lady’ sounds old), it was my friend Megan from high school. She was one of my best friends in high school and I’ve only seen her a handful of times since we graduated. It was fun to talk with Megan and be reminded of how blessed I am to have and have had such awesome friends.

Megan lives nowhere near that Albertsons (she lives over an hour away from it), so I questioned what she was doing there. She was in the area because her family was having a party that evening. She had come out earlier in the afternoon and was just going to hang out with her mom. When Megan got to her mom’s house her mom wasn’t home so she decided to run some errands. She was looking for particular store, which she had passed, when she saw Albertson’s and stopped because she remembered that popcorn was on sale and she had recently discovered that her family loves it.

Phone calls from friends and chance meetings may not seem like that big of a deal. My stories may not be as amazing as the stories in Small Miracles, but something doesn’t have to be outrageously amazing to make a difference, to make my day and make me more mindful that people care about me.

No comments: