Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A moment in my day

I needed to run an errand today. I should have taken Luke home for his nap instead. He was less than cooperative and there is no reasoning with a two year old.

 I had my five year old with me as well. Taking kids to the store is never, ever easy. He kept asking me to buy stuff and then freaking out when I wouldn't. It didn't matter if it was my money or his, we weren't buying candy. Reasoning with a five year old is almost impossible as well. He kept using my butt as a punching bag to vent his frustrations. He has started to hit me, although not hard, when he is frustrated. So not cool! We need to nip that problem in the butt. While we were in the store Luke spent most of the time screaming loudly over and over again, "I'm stuck," in protest to being buckled into the cart.

 After the store we came home, ate lunch and I put Luke down for a nap. Usually when I put Luke down for a nap I go in my room and shut the door. Jack looks at books, plays with Legos, draws pictures or just sits on the couch and stares off into space. The latter he seems to do the most. Luke falls asleep pretty quick, but I usually stay in my room for a while holding him because I love holding a sleeping baby. I need the down time and I think it's good for Jack to have a little time to himself as well. However, recently he has started to follow me in my room, hide under my bed, and then get mad at me when I don't lay Luke down the minute he falls asleep. Today I told Jack he needed to stay out of my room while I put Luke down for a nap. It didn't not go over well.

 Recently a relative who always asks us how life is going, has been responding to our complaints of how hard parenting is by saying, "it's not hard for you now, it's only going to get harder. What you are going through now is easy." Seriously?! It's really bumming me out. I know it's going to get harder (there is no shortage of people telling me that), but I really don't think the word 'easy' and parenting should ever be used in the same sentence.
 

2 comments:

Mac G said...

That's so frustrating that even something as simple as going to the store is such and ordeal. I'm sorry, but I love you and keep trying.

Kyra Marie said...

Maybe it's too soon for you to laugh about it, but just think how funny it will be in a few years when you think back to Luke yelling that he was stuck in the shopping. As a bystander that didn't have to deal with the screaming child, it definitely brought a smile to my face.