Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Got any ideas

I have food storage. Not as much as I need, but it's a process, right? I am doing okay at acquiring food storage, I'm not so good at using it to rotate it.

Today while going through stuff I found a whole bunch of potato pearls I need to use. They are old, my mother-in-law gave them to me because they need to be used. She probably gave them to me over a year ago or two or three, and I just put them away and forgot about them. But like I said they need to be used.

The only thing I could come up with to use them for, besides just using them as a side dish, is a Shepherd's pie. I have only ever had a Shepherd's pie once in my life. My mom was sick or something and somebody in the neighborhood brought us Shepherd's pie. I did not like it. I'm not really a casserole kind of person. Although I should make more because I'm pretty sure Chad likes them.

I resolved to use the potatoes for dinner tonight and we had leftover meat in the fridge. Since I couldn't come up with something else I made a Shepherd's pie. I made it with ground elk meat my grandparents gave us and then I piped the potatoes on top. I am totally a believer that the better the food looks, the better it tastes. Hopefully I'll like the taste. If not, at least it looked pretty.


So, does anybody out there have any great ideas for different uses of potato pearls? I googled it and didn't come up with much.

6 comments:

Christy said...

This website/forum has some interesting ideas, like potato cakes and peppermint patties. I personally think frying them up as cakes sounds good.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf48441440.tip.html

Julia Callahan said...

hmmm, take them to a family party? Potatoe pearls are really yummy because they have butter in them. I hate shepherd's pie and would gag if I had to eat it a lot. I've never made it. My mom does the same thing and gives me food storage that needs to be eaten, then it sits and 2-6 years later I say WE BETTER EAT THIS. :) Good luck.

Benjamin said...

Just to add support to your theory, in some of the psychology books I've read, they confirm that the better food looks, the better it tastes to people. One example I remember is that the more yellow the margarine, the better people think it tastes, even if nothing else is different about it.

By the way, did you like your dinner?

Aim Aug said...

I am not a fan of the shepherd pie, either. Especially if it has canned green beans in it. I am firm believer in most veggies being fresh or frozen...canned...no. We have lots of corn and olives in our food storage...no green beans. What about spudnuts? Can you make those with potato pearls, or just the flakes?

Heather K. said...

How about gnochi? Or, as Aimee said, spudnuts. Also, you could try potato rolls. How about one of those nummy Norbest turkey loafs (without bones,) gravy, and mashed pearls?

Crystal said...

Wow! Thanks for the ideas. I don't know about the mashed potato peppermint patties.
I think the first thing I am going to try is gnocchi. The potato rolls and spudnuts are a good idea too but they only use like a 1/3 or a 1/2 cup of potatoes, but hey it's something.