Saturday, April 18, 2009

Decisions, decisions

I thought it would be so exciting to be able to pick out my own kitchen, but it is completely stressing me out. I hate going into scrapbooking stores and have never much gotten into scrapbooking because all the choices stress me out. I felt that way as I visited some stores this week to get ideas for a kitchen.

I don't have a very defined sense of style (I think so many things are beautiful) and I'm trying to narrow things down. I've been spending way too much time on the internet looking at pictures of kitchens. I think I keep hoping that I'll find a picture and be like "that's it!" And then I can take it somewhere and be like "make it look exactly like this without being too expensive."

The kitchen I have now (that my aunt's of course picked out because it's their house) is knotty cherry with a natural finish. When the cabinets were first put in they were a lot lighter and the sun has darkened them up over time. They are a beautiful, warm color and I think they are nice. But I don't think they are what I want to do in my house, I don't think they 'go' with my house.

Here's a picture so you get the idea-

Somewhere I have a better picture, but I can't find it right now. (Plus, this picture is funner anyway.)

There are only a few things I do know that I like. I like simple, clean, lines. Meaning I don't think I want cabinet doors with arches. I like something like this-

Um, just kidding of course!

I like cabinet doors like this, no arches or raised panels. Okay, that's pretty much all I know I like for sure (maybe).


As for color of cabinets I have no idea. For some reason as I've looked through pictures I'm drawn towards white cabinets. But I'm worried I won't like it for long and then I will wish I had gone with a natural wood, but right now I cannot figure out what I would like. Also, I worry way to much about what other people think and when I say I like white kitchens they give me weird looks. I think a white or light kitchen goes well with my house, but I'm not a expert on design or anything. If I were rich I would pay somebody to figure out my sense of style and design the kitchen for me.

I love these-

I particularly love the above kitchen because it is very symmetrical. I would love for my kitchen to have symmetry like that, but it's too small.

Wait, I kind of like this too-

Hmm, dark?! I like this too-

Something in between.

We might be moving into the house without doing the kitchen, so I can have more time to decide. (Don't worry, there's another kitchen in the basement.)

I don't know.

(As for Chad's take on all of this- "I want you to be happy with it because you spend the most time in it, so do whatever you want." Love him.)

5 comments:

the author said...

Soooo stressful! I know, I know! Man, I was going to try to leave you a helpful tip or two, but I am reevaluating and finding nothing... Maybe try to have fun?

Let's get together soon!

the author said...

Soooo stressful! I know, I know! Man, I was going to try to leave you a helpful tip or two, but I am reevaluating and finding nothing... Maybe try to have fun?

Let's get together soon!

Aim Aug said...

I know what you mean! Very hard to decide. You like contrast though. The pics you posted (which I loved! That white one, the paint color....happy!): white cabs with dark furniture, dark cabs with whitish counters. It's the dramatic contrast that is so appealing. You'll figure it out! Just remember white shows EVERYTHING (but it's so pretty, if you like to clean). :)

Melanie said...

I love white kitchens, too. Would white cabinets look dirty faster than wood, or not?

Julia Callahan said...

I LOVE the last kitchen. I wish I got to choose a kitchen. I don't and may never get to...but we love where we're at. Have fun!!