Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Remodeling Part 1

We've been working on our house for the past couple of weeks. We work at the house Tuesday-Saturday, taking Sunday and Monday off. We've done a lot of demolition. Here's a picture of the kitchen before-

And after-
There use to be three ways into the kitchen. A doorway from the hallway, doorway from the dining room, and then a door that went outside. Three of the four walls had a doorway in them which made for a very awkward kitchen. So we closed off the doorway to the hallway, the doorway outside, and then took the wall out between the kitchen and the dining room.

We are going to put french doors in the dining room. My dad measured the opening and said it was a custom sized window so we would need to order a custom size door. I found one on the KSL classifieds that is exactly the right size and it's brand new. Wahoo!

We have lots to do, but we are making progress. We are still doing some demolition but on Saturday Chad started doing some building. Some of the things we will be doing- rewiring most of the house, redoing most of the plumbing, putting in overhead lights in the living room, refinishing the wood floors (I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the stains), building a play area under the stairs for the kids, moving the location of the toilet in the upstairs bathroom, completely redoing the kitchen, etc...

Ben loves helping us at the house. He is amazingly helpful. Sunday morning he woke me up and asked, "Can we go to the pee house? I want to work."


I need to figure out soon what I want to do with the kitchen. My dad has come up with an awesome layout and despite the fact that the kitchen is small there will be a lot of counter space and a lot of cabinet space. What kind of cabinets do I want?! What kind of flooring?! What kind of countertops?! Of course we are on a budget, but even within that budget there are almost endless possibilities. It's a lot of fun, just overwhelming. We're taking this weekend off and going camping. We are probably going to freeze, but oh well, it will be fun.

More to come...

9 comments:

Christy said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. We need to do a game night soon!

Chrystal said...

How exciting! Keep us posted...what an adventure!

Melanie said...

I am proud of you guys and so impressed!

talonandanna said...

oh wow what fun. i would vote for knotty hickory- love that, it's gorgeous! and a knock off version of corian for the counters, had that in our last house, the best! :) have a great time camping! hope little jack gets feeling better and we need to visit before too long!

Freebairn Family said...

I think we're too chicken for the freezing. If it really is, I think we'll back out. . .how bad is that?

Aim Aug said...

Holy smokes! You guys are daring! I can't wait to see it all done! I bet you can't wait either!:)

Tringali Family said...

How exciting, I haven't checked your blog in a while and didn't even know you bought a house! It is fun to do what you want to your house!

Tringali Family said...

How exciting, I haven't checked your blog in a while and didn't even know you bought a house! It is fun to do what you want to your house!

Jodi said...

It will look so great when you are done. I am excited for you to be in your own house and to have you be able to make it your own. It is nice that Chad and your dad are so handy.