Thursday, January 26, 2012

A day in the life


Let's start with last night.  We got the boys to bed at a reasonable
hour and then went downstairs and started watching Biggest Loser.
Within minutes we heard one of the boys walking around upstairs.  It
was Ben, 99.9% of the time it is, and he came downstairs.  Right then
I should have walked back upstairs with him and stayed with him until
he went to sleep, but darn it, I wanted to watch a show.  I watch tv,
at most, once a week.

While we watched the show Ben laid on the couch.  Chad was working on
a work project on his lap top and I was sewing.  I started ironing and
hemming the edges of a piece of fabric to make a table cloth.  I have
had the fabric for at least six years and just haven't gotten around
to it.  We hoped Ben would fall back asleep but he did not.  When the
show ended Chad and Ben went to bed, while I finished the tablecloth.

I went upstairs, carried Ben from my bed to his, got a drink of water,
used the restroom and then climbed in bed.  The moment my head hit the
pillow Luke let out a cry and then he kept me awake half the night.
He isn't sick and I don't think he is teething, but he isn't sleeping
well lately.

Normally I get ready for the day after Ben goes to school, but a
dentist appointment for me necessitated that I get ready for the day
before they boys woke up.  After getting myself ready, I woke up Ben.
Jack and Luke were already awake.  They are morning dudes, Ben is not.
 I don't like waking him up as much as he doesn't like waking up.
Mornings are rough, as I am sure they are for most moms.  One of my
biggest frustrations in the morning is getting Ben to eat.  I probably
say to him two dozen times, "eat!". Jack likes to eat first thing in
the morning and today he inhaled two bowls of oatmeal and a banana.
That kid is going through a growth spurt right now.

For a brief moment after I send Ben off to school (my sister picks him
up) I feel a sense of relief.  I give Ben an hug and then walk back
inside and start round two.  Bing, bing, bing!  Feeding, cleaning,
reading, wiping, washing, straightening, organizing, playing,
scheduling, teaching, etc...  And that's just the first hour.  Jack
would prefer to stay in his pajamas all day, it always takes a while
to convince him to get dressed.  This morning I made him a deal that I
would read him a book, then after he got dressed I would read him
another book.  It kind of worked.  He still didn't want to get
dressed, but it took less convincing than usual.

I took the boys to my friend Ann's so I could go to the dentist.  Yay,
no cavities!  But I know I am not taking care of my teeth as well as I
should.  Gotta work on that.  In a funny coincidence, my brother had a
dentist appointment right before me.  I didn't see him, but when the
dentist walked in the room he said, "hey, your brother was just here."

Luke has become very clingy lately and he did not handle being left at
Ann's very well.  He cried a lot.  Poor dude, poor Ann.  I visited
with Ann for a while then headed home.  I fed Jack and Luke lunch and
then put Luke down for a nap.

I started some laundry.  Jack helps me with laundry by cleaning out
the lint trap in the dryer.  We also make a game out of throwing the
dirty clothes into the washer.  I vacuumed the downstairs living room
and then let Jack watch a couple of shows while I worked on the
computer.  I needed to take care of some things for Primary.

Before I knew it it was time to pick up the kids from school.  Luke
was still asleep and I didn't want to wake him up.  Usually I can call
my sister and have her pick up the kids, but she couldn't today.  I
called my mom and she hurried down while I went and got the kids.

I came home, visited with my mom and told Ben a dozen times to do his
homework.  Chad got home from work.  When he pulled in the driveway I
was sitting on the couch with Luke who was standing on the couch
looking out the window.  He was so excited to see Chad.  So cute!  Ben
and Jack were in the closet waiting for Chad to open the door and put
his coat away.  They like to do that almost every day.  Sometimes I
hide in the closet with them.  Chad always pretends he is surprised.

I went and visited my friend Kristi.  She had a baby two weeks ago and
her mom was in town. I didn't want to bother her too much, but I
hadn't seen her for a week and a half and  I missed her.  She lives in
my neighborhood and I don't usually go more than a couple of days
without seeing her.

After visiting with her for a little bit I came home, we ate the
dinner Chad made, then I did some more laundry.  The boys were in the
laundry room with me wrestling on the floor.  I know boys wrestle, but
it often drives me crazy.

The rest of the night went by quickly.  Ben read to me.  Chad brushed
the boys teeth and then read to them while I fed Luke and tried to get
him to go to sleep.  Chad eventually got him to sleep while I sat in
the boys room while they fell asleep.  I asked the boys about the best
and worst part of their day and I also asked them to tell me one good
deed they did that day.  Ben told me he tied Madilynn's shoe for when
they were at school.  So cute!

After talking to Chad for a while, I went to bed.  Some nights I just
need to go to bed when the boys go to sleep.  I hate doing that, but
sometimes it's necessary.

Another day in the life of me.

1 comment:

Mac G said...

You make me tired! I love you.