Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Kauai Day 1

Back in October Chad and I took an awesome trip to Kauai. Luke came with us to, because he was after all completely dependent on me to sustain life.  It was fun to have him with us though.  Going from being the mom of three to having only one for a week is a vacation in and of itself.  

Two weeks before we went to Kauai my sister Jennifer and her husband went, and their kids stayed with us.  It was a crazy.  Every night I would fall asleep the moment my head hit the pillow.  Taking care of three kids is tiring, six was exhausting.  But it was fun.  My boys hardly argue when their cousins are around. 

My sister and I have made a pact with each other that once a year we keep each others kids for a week, or at least a long weekend, while we take a trip with our spouse.  Marriage insurance.   

The first day of our vacation was of course spent flying to Kauai.  I received a couple of mean stares when people saw me walk on the plane with Luke.  Ornery people.  Luke was an angel the whole time!

We arrived in Kauai late afternoon.  As we were walking to our rental car it started raining.  Kauai rain.  We were soaked within a minute and then five minutes later the raining stopped and the sun came out as if nothing had happened.  

We went to our hotel then walked down to the beach.  We returned to the hotel and started watching Soul Surfer.  Exhausted from a day of traveling, Luke and I quickly fell asleep.  I wish I could have slept in the next day, but Luke was on Utah time and he woke me up about 4 am.  We walked to the grocery store, got breakfast and then found and awesome spot on a beach, in some comfy lounge chairs, at some random hotel to watch the sunrise.  Chad eventually joined us and we had breakfast including pineapple.  Yummy Hawaiian pineapple.



Before we went to Kauai my sister and I made arrangements with somebody (Shawn) we knew from our childhood, who is currently living in Kauai with his wife and children, to store some stuff for us.  My sister left it with them and we went and picked it.  Beach chairs, snorkeling equipment, and camping gear.  My sister and her husband camped while they were in Kauai and we were planning on doing the same.  But my sister convinced us that with Luke in tow we were probably more comfortable finding a condo or hotel to stay at.  She ended up finding us a condo, for a really good deal, in the gorgeous town of Princeville on the North Shore.  




After breakfast on the beach we headed over to where Shawn lives.  We had a yummy lunch at a place called Paco's Tacos and then made arrangements with Shawn to meet him at his house.  When I was growing up I was a very awkward teenage girl and because of that I was nervous about visiting with Shawn. I thought that seeing him would just be a reminder of a very embarrassing time in my life.  

The visit wasn't really uncomfortable at all.  Especially when Shawn said, "I was such a dork when I was a teenager."  I thought he was one of the cool ones when I was growing up.  It just goes to show that most teenagers are uncomfortable in their own skin and worry way to much what other people think.  Shawn and his Kim were so nice and invited us to join them for some things later in the week.  After visiting them and stuffing all the gear in the rental car we headed to Waimea Canyon.  We both got motion sick on the way up the canyon so we didn't drive all the way to the top.  I kind of regret that.  Oh well, next time.  :)



After Waimea Canyon we started on our way up to the North Shore.  We took Kim's suggestion and stopped in Kapa'a at Ono Ono Shave Ice.  It was so delicious!  It was our first of many stops there.   I have a thing for flavored ice and Hawaiian Ice takes the cake.  


To be continued....

No comments: