Sunday, January 09, 2011

I need an owner's manual

Parents say all the time, "I wish my kid came with an owner's manual." This past week I have especially felt that way.Jack's a bit more defiant than usual which I think contributed to him and Ben fighting a lot this week, and my patience isn't the greatest lately.

I read this article in the NY Times. I love the article because it explains my approach to parenting a lot. I feel passionate about letting kids just play instead of constantly entertaining them, especially with electronics. If you are a parent, you know that's a battle though. And I am terrified that I will just eventually get worn down as my kids get older and as kids get older it's trickier to keep them busy.

Letting kids just play means that your house is generally in disorder (which is hard enough to deal with) but it also means that kids are going to fight a lot more because they are constantly interacting with each other. I think arguing between siblings is important, but I hate dealing with it. I don't know how best to address it. Ideally of course I wish my kids would always get along, always love each other. But then they would never figure out how to resolve disagreements with others. And the arguing doesn't mean they don't love each other.

I guess the thing that is most difficult to deal with is it's that it's going to go on for years and years and years. I have to teach them over and over again the same lessons until they finally kind of get it. (I say kind of, because I feel like there are a lot of life lessons I am trying to teach them that I am still working on myself.)

It's daunting, to say the least. :)

3 comments:

Christy said...

I know all to well how easy it is to put them in front of a TV. I have even done that with Benson a few times and Baby Einsteins. I admit that at school I got rid of a lot of the imaginative play and fun activities because it was hard not to have control over the chaos. And I was frustrated that they were not using the toys the right way. I really liked this article. I think you are doing a great job with your boys

Crystal said...

Thank you Christy. I like the article and I feel passionate about what it is saying, but implementing it is another thing. It's so hard to let go of control. It's an everyday battle.
And I am constantly amazed at people who chose to be teachers. To me it would be a nightmare job. I am sure you were a wonderful teacher just as you are a great mom.

Tringali Family said...

I know what you mean about the fighting. I just keep reminding myself that I fought with my siblings and we all love each other (now ;).