Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kindergarten Memories

I can't sleep. Blasted! I hate that.
I've been laying in bed for the past hour thinking about how Ben will be starting Kindergarten. That's not why I can't sleep though. Who knows why? I am excited for Ben to start Kindergarten and while I have been awake for the past hour I have been thinking about what I remember about Kindergarten.
I can't remember if my teacher was Mrs. Bassett or Mrs. Peterson. Oh well. But the things I do remember-
  • Painting, painting, and more painting. They had these easels set up in between the two Kindergarten classrooms. I remember painting a lot, and loving it!
  • A field trip to the boys bathroom. The boys went in the girls bathroom and the girls went in the boys bathroom. I guess this was to squelch our curiosity.
  • Show and tell- but the only thing I ever remember taking was a postcard from Disneyland with Snow White and the seven dwarfs on it. We went to Disneyland for the first time when I was in Kindergarten.
  • Pickles. Every week a student was suppose to bring in a food for everybody to try. I took pickles. Dill chips, I believe.
  • Paste. I ate it. A lot of it. A lot!
I don't recall if I had afternoon or morning Kindergarten. My mom said I had afternoon. I don't remember walking home from school with my sister Jennifer, but I am sure I did. She was in second grade and if I remember correctly that was the only year I was in the same school as her until high school. That little smartie ended up going to different schools to do an accelerated program and then we went to different junior high schools.

We lived very close to the elementary school, so we walked. I remember there was only a handful of kids who were driven to school. Things were a lot different then.

Last year on the way to my in-laws house I drove past an elementary school. I was amazed to see hundreds of bikes lined up in the bike racks. It looked like outside a German train station (okay, maybe not that many bikes, but there was a lot.) Chad's parents live where it is flat. We live in a very hilly city, and the elementary school Ben is going to go to has students that live way up the hills. Like my sister- I think her house is a long, steep way aways from the school. We however, live where it is pretty flat and pretty close to the school. It's a slight incline on the way to school. I am determined to walk with Ben as much as possible. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: