Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just thoughts

This afternoon we went swimming, after swimming I was brushing the boys' hair (Ben, Jack, and Josh (my nephew). A nice young grandma lady said to me,
"Oh, three boys! I had five boys before I had a girl."
Then I said to her, "that means you had at least six kids, how many did you have?"
Her, "Eleven."
Me, "wow, I have two and it seems to be as much as I can handle. Sometimes it is more than I can handle."
Her, "How ever many you currently have seems to be as much as you can handle."
In my head I was thinking, so how exactly did she end up having eleven kids. Wow!
She told me that after every kid she had she just had to give up something else. She said scrapbooking and playing the piano were a few things she gave up. She said that there were three things she wouldn't give up-
  • Doing the laundry.
  • Doing the dishes.
  • Having a clean house.

Um, okay. Those three things take up a lot of my time. And I have two kids. You know what she didn't mention that she wouldn't give up? SLEEP. I guess I could always stop blogging, but it wouldn't really save me much time.

So lately I have been thinking that I would like to be able to do more things for other people and I feel bad that I'm not. I have two friends who are very pregnant that I'd like to do something for, my grandparents would always love a visit, people would always love to get an e-mail or a nice note, and I would love to get together for playdates to visit with friends. (If you are reading this blog, you are one of the people I would like to see.)

So, I would like to do more, but often times it seems that taking care of things in my own little world keeps me plenty busy. Everything seems to take so much effort. I find it interesting how I belittle the importance of what I do for my family. It's a big deal, it's a lot of work.

I love my little family, but I think it's important to socialize outside of that. A guy in my ward once said me, "people are friendly, but they aren't friends." I think it's so true, but how do we balance very important family time with other things as well? Has anybody figured that out? I think we are all trying to figure that out, aren't we?

3 comments:

Robin said...

I think you should talk to that lady's husband. I'll bet he knows exactly how she came to have eleven kids

talonandanna said...

i think it's one of the big life questions while we are here- how do we find balance? i think it can be so tough some times and it seems to be for me anyway, something that i continually have to work on and reevaluate. :) i have found though that i can't give up everything, i have to have a couple of things to do that i love, the replenish and rejuvenate my soul, dishes & laundry just don't cut it! :)

Julia Callahan said...

My mom is the 1st girl and 4th child of 11 kids. So her youngest sister, my aunt, is my age and is having kids my kids' age. My Grandma said, "I didn't have 11 kids because I wanted to, I had 11 because I thought that was what I was supposed to do". SAD! She also has no memory and says I don't think I had time to hold and love any one of them. I was too busy. The older siblings were the mother's. I can barely handle the 2 I have! Times are changing.
I'm going to try that deodorant. NOTHING works for me. I also enjoy your bargain shopping websites and need to teach myself.
Get your sleep--don't give it up, what little you have. I also love a clean house. :0)