Three days after Ben turned three I went to store and bought a bunch of diapers for Ben and Jack. It was a lot of diapers and I thought, "wouldn't that be cool if Ben didn't need these and was miraculously potty trained?"
Our approach with Ben and potty training was to let him do it when he was ready. He showed interest when he first turned two. Throughout the next year, we encouraged it and pushed it a little. We didn't push it much though. (We don't want to cause him any psychological harm, we do enough of that already :).)
We tried giving him rewards. If he went to the bathroom in the potty he got candy. If I had to change his bum I got the candy and I ate him in front of him. Is that mean? I think it might have helped a little though.
Three days after Ben turned three, the same day I bought the diapers, Ben went poop in the toilet and I haven't had to change a poopy diaper since. It's been over a month now. It's a miracle. He was rewarded with Lightning McQueen and Spiderman underwear. I prefer the cute little boxer briefs he has, but he's all about the character underwear. He wears them backwards because if he wears them the right way he can't see the characters.
He's only had a handful of accidents (peeing his pants) half of which have been at my sister's house when he was outside playing. Why would somebody stop playing to go inside and pee?
I'm so proud of Ben. Wahoo!
5 comments:
When he learns that boys can easily pee outside instead of coming in, he'll be set! Mr. O finally is potty trained and for the first time in almost 7 years, I haven't been buying diapers!
He's already learned about peeing outside. His cousin taught him.
Congrats! How exciting!
Yipee! I love it when they are potty trained! Ben is so cute, my boys did the underwear backwards thing too, pretty funny!
Wow, good work! Mine was almost 4 and it was a lot of work. I love that he wears his underwear backwards.
Post a Comment