Friday, November 09, 2007

It's too early to think of a title

It's 4:30 in the morning and I'm a bit more awoke than I would like to be. I was just up with Binkers for the first time and Beepers for the fourth time. As I've mentioned, more than once, Beepers is a horrible sleeper. Just when we thought it couldn't get worse, it did. Beepers is now suffering from night terrors. He wakes up screaming 60 to 90 minutes after he falls asleep. He screams, thrashes about, and sometimes wanders around the house. His eyes are open, but he is not awake and in between the screaming he mumbles incoherently. Trying to console him just makes things worse, so I just have to wait it out. It's crazy. It's frustrating, but I feel bad for Beepers. And of course, I can't help but thinking that I'm the one causing Beepers emotional stress which may contribute to the night terrors.
I love Beepers, but he is definately going through the 'terrible twos'. He is very intense at times. The past couple of months has been overwhelming. I can't believe how often dealing with a two year old can bring me to tears. (Keep in mind that I am a bit emotional, but seriously two year olds are amazingly determined and it's very tricky getting them to do what you need them to do.)
Although I feel like I'm doing a lot of things wrong with Beepers there is one thing I think I've done right- I read to him almost every day. It helps that he loves being read to. Beepers has an amazing vocabulary and a very vivid imagination. He loves to tell me stories and he makes up interesting songs. Some days Beepers wakes up in the morning talking and it doesn't seem like he stops until he goes to bed. Sometimes it's a bit too much talking, but sometimes I love to hear the things he says.
I have a lot to learn and Beepers has a lot to teach me.

3 comments:

Mac G said...

You are doing a great job, keep it up. The other day when beepers said that I was looking "gloomy" I was shocked.

MNCarlsson said...

A love of books, that's awesome. I base my love of books from reading with my Mom as long as I can remember and I wouldn't be where I work today without my love of books.
To have both parents that like to read is an added blessing.
Does he have any favorite books? I remember Adam loved Digger Dan.

Amanda said...

Poor kid. That is no fun to have to go through. Keep being the great mom that you are!