Chad and I kissed for the first time about two months after we started dating. It was up on the U on the mountain one night after work. It was my first kiss ever and it was simply sweet.
I was so sad when Chad left on his mission. I had told Chad that I wasn’t going to wait for him (I didn’t want to make a promise that so often gets broken), but right after he left I found myself day dreaming a lot about marrying him. Before Chad left he sprayed one of his shirts (my favorite shirt he wore) with his cologne and I slept with that shirt in my hands for six months.
A couple of weeks after Chad left on his mission a new guy started working at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. Before you think that I got over Chad really quick, let me explain about this guy. Rather than just leaving him nameless, for ease in telling the story, let’s just call him Bob. Bob was married with children. He had a full-time day job as an engineer, but started working a night job to make some extra money. I didn’t interact with him much, but I do remember one day talking to him about his wife. He told me how he met her and what a wonderful person she was. He spoke very highly of her and it seemed that he really loved her.
A month later I moved to Texas for the summer to live with some relatives and work as a nanny. At the end of the summer I returned to work at the JSMB. I worked full-time as a custodian, I went to school full-time, and I worked in the catering department part-time because I wanted to keep myself busy.
When I started back at the JSMB I was very surprised to find out that Bob and his wife had gotten divorced. Bob and I worked together and we spent a lot of time talking. A couple of months later we started dating. He took me to meet his parents. They lived in a very small central Utah town and after I met them the town newspaper wrote a little story about it. Yes, the town is that small. I also met his very young children. It was strange and overwhelming. Bob fell in love with me a lot faster than I fell in love with him, but I did end up falling in love with him. He wanted to marry me and he told me that on a couple of occasions. I wanted to go on mission. The day I turned in my mission papers he came over, we had a DTR and again told me he would like to marry me, but would wait for me while I went on a mission.
I was a little confused about what I should do. Bob was a very nice guy, but I was young and I didn’t know if I wanted to be a step-mom and deal with his ex-wife. I didn’t have to think about it long because just a few days after the DTR he told me one night that he “needed to talk to me.” He told me that his ex-wife had visited him and after a very long conversation they decided to try and give their relationship another chance. I was heart-broken. A part of me wanted to fight for him, but I knew that I shouldn’t stand in the way of a family being together, so the last words I said to him were, “I hope everything works out.”
I didn’t want to be around him, so I took a couple of weeks off of work. I went camping in Moab and Zion with some friends. Once again I was in a small town newspaper. I went on a hiking/rappelling trip that went a little bit sour and ended up spending a night sleeping on a cliff just above the Zion Canyon Lodge. When we got down we got a ticket for spending the night without a permit, and from what friends told me later, there was an article in the LaVerkin newspaper about our adventure.
A couple of weeks after I got back to work, Bob ended up quitting. Before he quit, he told my boss, who in turn told me that he found out that his divorce was never finalized. I guess their small town lawyer didn’t finish the job. He had been paying child support and alimony and both him and his wife had been seriously dating other people, so I’m pretty sure he had no idea that he was still married.
Wow, this story is really, really long. I’ll finish the story another day.
1 comment:
Holy cow! What an excited life you've had. Sleeping on a cliff, dating a guy with kids, being in the paper... I had no idea all this was happening. I need to keep track of my friends better. Good thing we have these blogs... :)
Post a Comment